Craftmeister Etsy Shop

Friday, October 11, 2013

I Love Yarn Day 2013


Happy I Love Yarn Day!  


In honor of this craftified glorious day, I want to share with you and showcase my awesome Picture-Afghan made for me by my mother a few years back.  It's by far the most impressive piece of crochet workI have ever seen.  It's huge - covers my queen sized bed - and it has my baby kittums, Gordo, featured on it.  Gordo was a stray cat, and he loved looking out the window at the birds when we lived in Queens.  He'd sit there all day... staring, plotting, and wanting to chase them.  My mother made this blanket with Gordo sitting on the grass looking lovingly (or hungrily?) at a mother bird feeding her chicks.   Here it is! 



The entire blanket is made up of small 'granny squares' in all different colors, and a few topically applied details (the faces, beaks).  For a total of 580 granny squares, I know for a fact that my mother worked on this blanket for months.  You know the expression 'Made With Love'?  Well, when you're working on a project for so long and you have a specific recipient in mind, something happens.... You keep in your mind  - for almost the entire time you're making the project - of the final awesome moment when the recipient opens it, or gets it.  So I know that my mother thought of me and Gordo for a long long time while making this. 

Gordo knows too.  Look!  Here he is, checking out himself.

Cat-ception



Now I'd like to share a few teaser pictures of some projects that I'm working on for some very very special ladies.  Pardon the vague pictures, but I don't want to give too much away! 

A Blanket I'm working on 
And some appliques for a blanket that I'll be starting soon

I'm also making some great progress on my chevron scarf for myself.  I used my favorite colors; purple, earth tone beiges, pink, and a neutral white.  I'm very excited about it, and I think I'll be able to finish it before the cold weather REALLY kicks in.  The yarn I'm using is so soft, and very thin.  It feels soooo nice as a scarf, but I have to use the smallest crochet hook and make very tight and tiny stitches so it's taking me longer than I anticipated.  But, let me tell you, the Chevron stitch is so much fun!  It's really really easy, but looks like it takes a lot of work.  Here it is so far... 

I love the depth of the rows,  and the texture created just by the stitch alone.  I still have another half to make, and I will post the completed pictures and the pattern when I'm done.  

What are you working on for this I Love Yarn Day 2013?  Please share in the comments below, I'd love to hear what you're up to!




2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the end result of the new project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becca,
    I am trying to track down the pattern for the cat & bird afghan that your mom made for you. What a labor of love! :) Would she happen to know where that pattern could be found? You can contact me at NikkisStudio at gmail dot com. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete